10 Reasons for SPANISH
by Carol Edwards
by Carol Edwards
- Spanish in high demand – Not only is Spanish the 2nd leading language here, the U.S. falls behind only Mexico in its number of Spanish speakers as a country! Knowledge of Spanish serves English speakers well in a global community; it may also give advantage when qualifying for jobs serving this fast-growing market.
- Improve cognitive abilities – Bilingual persons generally are more successful at monitoring their environment than monolinguals, making it easier for them to solve critical thinking problems not related to language.
- Simpler to understand - Similarities to English exist. Can you guess the meaning of computadora and inteligencia? Some words are spelled exactly the same in both languages: perfume, hospital, doctor, color, ideaand animal, to name a few.
- High school advantage – Most high schools require at least two to three years of foreign language study. Students who have had an early start to Spanish typically will find themselves better prepared for the rigor of high school language courses.
- The sooner the better – No surprises here. A second language is most easily acquired when young, and ideally for students around preschool age.
- Improve English grammar – Studying Spanish helps correct bad speech habits in English as students discover the way words function in both languages.
- Our next door neighbors – With Spanish as the second most spoken language in the United States, learners don’t have to go far in order to practice their language skills.
- Lend a hand, make a friend – Whether at home or abroad, being able to relate to and share with someone in his native language can quickly break down barriers between people. Giving directions or answering simple questions can make a big difference to someone who doesn’t understand English.
- Spanish CAN be fun to learn! - Our enrichment classes offer students a wide variety of activities to keep things interesting.
- Prepare for Travel - Getting around is so much easier when someone in the group can ask questions and understand basic words and phrases in the foreign language.